Monday, June 1, 2015

Honduras Day 1

Pleasant surprise this evening as we actually have internet, so I get the chance to blog a little bit for you all. The compound is much nicer than most places we've stayed as it's actually a hotel. There's a giant pool, which is probably filled with some nasty stuff considering all the college kids that have been jumping into it, and I'm sharing a room with 3 of the senior guys, but I get the giant full size bed, and the room is air conditioned.....so yeah, the place is nicer than most places I've stayed overseas.

The flight went well this morning. We arrived at the airport at 3:30am and got all 35 of us checked in. We flew to Miami and then quickly headed over to the other gate to head off to Honduras. I'm not 100% sure where we are quite yet, so I'll need to update you on the specifics of the area and such. So stay tuned. I know we drove about 2ish hours to get to the hotel and then we drive about an hour and 45 minutes to get to the community where we'll be working. I just don't know much about the layout of Honduras yet, but I will in the next few days. Having internet will help a lot.

Dr. Pilch, a doctor of nursing, and myself are the three doctors on the trip, though there are two Honduran doctors joining as well. Dr. Pilch, me and one of the Honduran docs will be running the clinic, the doctor of nursing, Noel, will be doing a lot with the triage and glucose screenings for various patients, and the other Honduran doctor will be running the gyne clinic.

Basically today we just had some debriefing sessions and talked about the plans for the week. Tomorrow we will be heading out into the community to give the kids a chance to see the population they are working with, and then we will come back and sort the medications and get ready for the clinic Wednesday through Friday. Saturday will be a debrief and some sort of community activity, and Sunday we head home. Short trip, but they expect us to see about 300 patients a day, so it will be a busy clinic. Hopefully I'm up to the task....but Dr. Pilch will be nearby to help me when I have questions, so I'm not too worried.

They fed us pretty well -- typical food you would expect here: rice, beans, chicken, veggies, some traditional soup, fruit. I"m sure most meals will be the same.

Going to try to keep these blog posts shorter than the Africa one, so that's all for now. Going to go chill with the group and rest up for the night. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment