Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Arrived in Haiti! December 27, 2013

Hello everyone,
I made it to Haiti! Got in yesterday morning and met up with Bob and Rae, the American Salvation Army couple who work in Port-au-Prince, and they drove me down to Fond-des-Negres (pronounced Fond-de-Neg for those of you who don't speak French like me), which was about a 2-3 hour drive.  The place I'm staying is far nicer than I expected, like beyond anything I would have thought.  The overall complex is very nice here, though the hospital is small and mostly what I expected, the living quarters above it are pretty much any normal apartment building.  I have my own room with a bed, desk, and private bathroom.  The electricity does come and go, but for the most part we always have it because the hospital has a back up generator.  Still have the mosquito net hung around the bed, though everything is screened in and my host thoroughly soaked the room with mosquito spray just in case.  They seem to always be cooking, so I definitely will not starve.  Yesterday they cooked "lunch" which consisted of chicken legs, spinach and carrots, potato casserole, rice and beans, and then for dinner they made a type of porridge that was pretty amazing.  Aside from touring the complex yesterday and going through all my luggage and supplies (yes, everything made it!), the day was pretty chill.  I will start working in the hospital today, which I'm still not sure what that will consist of, but we shall soon find out.  They do have a fully functioning pharmacy that seems to have a good variety of medications, and the TB ward is off in a separate part of the hospital where the patients stay for 2-6 months receiving treatment.  The rest of the hospital is separated into men, women, and children, though it's pretty much mixed whenever there is overflow.  There are small "kitchens" around the outside where the families wash the clothes and cook on small stoves, essentially charcoal grills -- if you stay in the hospital your family has to provide everything for you while you're here, there isn't a hospital staff like that or nursing care that even changes bandages and such, so the families are very involved.  They do sell the drugs to the patients as well, and that's the main source of income for the hospital.  If patients cannot afford it, there is some way they work around that, usually asking other patients to help pay it seems......everyone here is very communal, if anyone needs help they just help you and keep walking.  If a child is trying to cross the street you'll see someone grab their hand, get them across and then keep going (which I tell you, the streets are like....well Bob says it's like driving in a video game, and I agree....people are just crazy).  The computer I'm typing on is in the main living room and I have access to it whenever, so I will be easily able to send e-mail updates to you all and let you know how things are going.  It's not WiFi that I've figured out at the moment, so no pictures will be coming your way for now.

I'll let you know how the day goes!  Pray that I stay healthy and that I can be effective in treating our patients today.  Thanks so much.


-Aaron Tabor

No comments:

Post a Comment