Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Leaving for Haiti: December 25, 2013

Hello and Merry Christmas,

Thank you again to all of you who have supported me and helped make it possible for me to go on this trip to Haiti.  I will fly to Ft. Lauderdale tonight at 7pm, and after a 7 hour layover, head to Haiti and arrive in Port-au-Prince at about 8:30am tomorrow on the 26th.  I will be picked up by a Major in the Salvation Army who will drive me 2.5 hours to Fond-des-Negres where I will stay and work at the Bethel Clinic for the next 10 days.  I believe I will have some e-mail access while I am down there, so I will do my best to send e-mail updates letting you know what's going on and some prayer requests.  

Main prayer request is that I can be effective in providing medical care to the Haitian people.  I will be working alongside the Haitian doctors and nurses at the Bethel clinic, and I am excited to see what I can learn from them and what I can teach them as we use the limited resources to provide medical care.  Obviously I hope that I don't get terribly sick.....I've taken the necessary precautions with updating my Typhoid vaccine, taking Mefloquine for Malaria prophylaxis, antibiotics for traveler's diarrhea, etc.  They have told me they will be providing me with bottled water, and most of the food should be cooked for me by someone who will make sure that it's fully cooked and as clean as it can be.  Obviously there is still some risk in me picking something up, so prayer that I stay healthy so that I am effective would be appreciated.  

Other than that, pray in any way he leads you.....I don't know much about what I'm doing and where I'm staying yet.  The hardest thing is going to be the huge language barrier, though there should be a few people there who speak English and will help me translate and teach me some Creole.  

Thanks again for the support and your prayers.  I look forward to sharing with you all that happens down in Haiti.  I'm also looking forward to the 90 degree weather and leaving the snow!  


-Aaron Tabor

No comments:

Post a Comment